Friday, October 31, 2008

Mammaw Is On The Move

Who would believe that I have 10 people that will be living in my home in the next few days. Yeah - I know – normally when I tell people that we will soon have a new member in our home – most think – ‘He’s obviously going to have another baby.’ Well that would be a fair assumption based on the fact that we have added someone to the house almost every year for the past 9 years.

This time circumstances are different. Rather than having a new baby – we are moving my grandmother “Mammaw” in to live with us. My grandmother is 88 years old and her health has been deteriorating over the past few years (as you would expect of anybody at her age) however the pace has picked up over the past couple of months.

My mom has been caring for her in West Monroe while trying to deal with her own debilitating health and Mammaw’s condition has become too difficult for my mom to manage by herself. She has had lots of visitors over the past week as people came by to wish her well. I am headed to West Monroe to catch up with my family when I get off work tonight.

clip_image002

I have spent the past week – moving furniture around the house and rearranging furniture. Yesterday afternoon – a local medical equipment provider delivered a hospital bed and bed side adjustable table as well as oxygen machine and a wheel chair. We got the bed all set up with clean sheets and a blanket and I did a little decorating in the room to make it look inviting to Mammaw. She has spent the past 40+ years living in the house there in West Monroe. I know that she is going to miss it.

Tomorrow we plan to get up – have a nice breakfast and then to be on our way to Denham Springs. If you have some time – pray that God would grant us a un-eventful trip and that my Mammaw would not be too anxious about the move. She knows that her life in this world is drawing to a close and is content with God’s will. She says that she is ready to put off her body of flesh and trade it in for a incorruptible one – yet while she is still with us - it is certainly difficult to have the mind of an adult and to live in a body that responds more like a new born.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm glad you made it safely to us this evening. Glad to back together with you. Looking forward to the work ahead for us together!
Lots of Love,
Amy